Saturday, January 19, 2008

Sangiovese!

I personally recommend Steltzner's 2005 Sangiovese. It is absolutely wonderful. Don't take too long on the nose, 'cause you'll want to get that black cherry fruit on your palate! I have tasted many Napa Valley Sangiovese's and can honestly say, this is one of the best. It is NOT over oaked like many others, and that's due to winemaker Tim Dolven's belief that no wine should be over-oaked. I totally agree. The finish is long, but you'll want to get another sip before you realize how long it really is! Keep in mind Napa Valley Wine Lovers, 2005 was one of the very best harvest years in wine production history. Mother nature was at her very best, providing a Spring, Summer and Fall with moderate temperatures, minimal precipitation and cool evenings. Some wineries were harvesting as late as Halloween! This phenomenon wasn't partial to a few appellations, but for all! North to South, East to West - on the Valley Floor, up in the mountains too. Not sure if this wine is available at your local, favorite wine shop. If it is, please let me know and I can share that information with others in your area. If not, here's a link direct to the winery to order online http://www.steltzner.com/ And, please let them know that My Personal Wine Taster.com recommended it to you!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! This is my first visit. I am impressed with the passion you are pouring along. Will get back more often.

Cheers!

Kulpreet Yadav
India

lovewine said...

Hey Wine Guy, do you know anything about a Rose (Row-zay)called Lucy? I had some once and it was fantastic, i know it's from Northern California, but i can't remember.... Have you ever tried it? I'm not usually a Rose kind of person, but this was FANTASTIC! Fill bodied like a red but cold and refreshing like a white!

lovewine said...

Oh, forgot to say it was a Rose of Pinot Noir - Lucy or Lucille...

Wine Guy Napa Valley said...

LOVEWINE - not familiar with the winery, but very familiar with rose's made with good varietals like Pinot, Merlot and Sangiovese.
They maintain the varietals fruit flavors balanced with a dry finish, without the residual sugars that were prevelent in the 1970's - not that you were old enough to have tasted them way back then! I'll get back to you, have to do my homework on this question. Thanks for responding!

Wine Guy Napa Valley said...

Kulpreet, thanks for viewing my blog - passion, yes, just can't get my mind away from wine! Check often, my goal is to feature one good wine per week, as long as time allows. Have to work the day job to pay the bills! Take care, and by the way, what's the time difference from Napa, California to your country?